An Introduction

    Although I thought that I did not have much experience with this type of music, I have realized that I have heard many of the songs that we have listened to or that I have looked into for my presentation prior to the course (especially the songs by Irving Berlin). I do enjoy a wide variety of genres. I wouldn't say that I have a favorite because it really depends on the mood that I am in, or how I am feeling  that determines what songs, artists, or genres I listen to. I appreciate all types of music, and I have enjoyed all of the songs that we've listened to in class so far. However, I have enjoyed all of the Jazz-type songs that we have listened to the most. I wouldn't say that I am brand new to thinking about the technical aspects of music such as melody, but I would say that I am new to thinking about context of music. I typically don't look into the background of many artists or eras of music, but now I may have to start because it is actually pretty interesting. 

    I am most excited to be introduced to new music in this course. Like I mentioned before, I have an appreciation for all types of music so I am looking forward to expanding my listening even more. I think the topics will contribute to a deeper understanding of music in general, and being able to recognize more of the technical aspects that I do not know. It may even encourage me to attempt taking up playing an instrument again. I think it will also expand my knowledge on the history of music eras, and the deeper meanings and context behind certain song lyrics. Culture and music are so intertwined and i'm looking forward to being able to think about the songs categorized under the GAS in a different way than I would have if I listened to them on my own prior to the course. I think my knowledge on the relationship between music history and topics such as race and gender will really be expanded and allow me to take a different approach when thinking about it. 


    
This song "The Very Thought of You" is not one that I have heard before, but I really enjoyed it. I was drawn to the melody and the instruments playing in the background. His voice was very relaxing and I noticed that it was a very romanticized song about longingness or dreaming, like many of the ones that we've listened to. Although his voice is very strong, there is an instrumental portion as well. It reminded me of the Jazz songs that we have listened to which is why I think I was really drawn to it as well. 

Comments

  1. Hi Audrey! I really like what you said about what you want out of the course. And I am in the same boat as you in liking the more Jazz-influenced songs the most. Nat "King" Cole is one of my favorite singers from this era because of his smooth and effortless voice. I have also never heard this song before you included it and it is beautiful! I find it very interesting to hear people explain why they like a certain song or genre of music because I feel it tells you about how the person feels the music. In the same sense that no one sees the color the exact same, no one enjoys a song the exact same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey, I relate to what you said about discovering that you had heard many of the songs we had listened to in class before. I also have a limited experience with music so I was pleasantly surprised to know several of the songs we listened to in class. I am also excited to be introduced to new music through this class. I love the song that you chose to share. I have not heard this specific song before but I love this artist. I agree that his voice is very relaxing and that it ties back to the concepts of dreaming we heard in other songs during class on Wednesday. I am looking forward to hearing more of your reflections throughout the course!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Ol' Man River"... Who Should Sing It?